Installation and Repair Technician
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Name: Clay Cooper
Seeking an experienced I&R technician for a national internet and phone provider providing both home/cell/internet services to over 200K subscribers in NC.
This I&R team has 2 purposes- to Install and repair both residential telephone service or internet service. These can be existing or new clients. Their sole purpose is to go on-site and troubleshoot lines of service.
Day to Day: These resources will first go to the work centers depending on the location they are supporting (Kinston, Jacksonville, OBX, Wake Forest, Henderson, Rocksboro, Tarboro, Rocky Mount, Southern Pines, Siler City). They will receive their tickets and go out to the customer sites located in their area. Days can vary depending on the type of ticket. They will be installing/repairing residential customers for POTS and HSI lines of service. Once a ticket a completed, they close it out in the SS9 ticketing system (this is why former ex employees are required). Tech's should average closing out 5 tickets per day, however depending on the type of ticket, you may not get those 5. Example: HSI install could last 2-3 hours of an 8 hour shift.
SHIFTS: Tues- Saturday 8-5PM. This shift will remain this shift and not change. Will get Sundays/Mondays off.
The I&R Technician is responsible for the installation and repair of residential and small business telephone services for end user customers.
He/she will troubleshoot cable plant facilities with employee provided test equipment and will be required to coordinate with other departments to establish and/or restore services. The Technician will receive and close daily tasks through a mechanized dispatch system.
Essential Job Functions:
- Test connections
- Test Broadband speed
- Test Quality of POTS lines, as well as broadband quality
- Ensure lines are secure, working, and finalized before leaving
- At least 12 months experience within the last 5 years installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business/government telecommunication service (POTS and HSI), including Design Services.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last 5 years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings.
- Analyze and troubleshoot basic technical problems or issues.
- Review and discuss service order requirements and equipment requests with customers, evaluating customers' telecommunication needs and suggesting additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Install, maintain/repair, and test residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS, Hicap circuits and HSI).
- Initiate or perform cable cuts, transfer projects, and/or load balance cuts, and issues necessary to prevent blocking.
- Run cross-connects
- Review, interpret and work with information on trunk orders, facility orders, message trunk orders, network design orders and/or circuit layout orders.
- Routinely inspect all parts of the frame for breaks or loose equipment.
- Test and check equipment and/or assists other employees in testing and checking equipment.
- Maintain daily frame logs for work unit credit, and files service orders
- Connect, disconnect, remove, rearrange and maintain wires inside a central office.
- Connect wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Use hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters).
- Perform continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Read and interpret customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc. from supervisor or other designated employees and perform specified work.
- Work with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Repair cut cable of all sizes.
Join TEKsystems®, a leading IT staffing, IT talent management and IT services firm, and get your career on the fast track. We have more than 100 offices worldwide, and we partner with over 6,000 clients and place over 80,000 consultants per year. At TEKsystems, we seek to understand our consultants' skills, goals and interests, allowing us to present targeted job opportunities on a contract, contract-to-hire or direct placement basis. TEKsystems' leadership in the market stems from our sincere and personal commitment to driving the success of our customers, consultants and each other.